Tuesday 17 April 2012

My Thoughts on Smallville #1 comic.

Those of you who don't know, Smallville was a long running TV series based on the early years before Clark Kent became Superman, created by writers and producers Alfred Gough and Miles Millar. It spanned 10 seasons and featured on two networks, The WB and CW, which ended with Kent having finally embraced his destiny and took flight in the iconic red and blue suit and pushed away Apokolips from Earth's orbit. News cropped up of a possible comic book in the works that continues on the hit series. It has indeed, it was released electronically last Friday 13th April on Comixology on phones such as Android and I-Tunes. The first chapter was written by Bryan Q. Miller, who also wrote the TV series, with pencils by Pere Perez.

With the 1st issue heading to print on May 2nd, I managed to catch a quick read of the first chapter of Guardian part 1 on my Samsung Galaxy. It turns out here it has been six months since Kent defeated Darkseid, gave the people hope and thus purged the darkness out of everyone's hearts and saved the Earth from a cosmic threat of intergalactic proportions. Most characters draw their likeness to actors from the Smallville show such as Superman (Tom Welling), Lois Lane (Erica Durance), Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum), Oliver Queen/Green Arrow (Justin Hartley) and Chloe Sullivan-Queen (Allison Mack). So what can I say about this? Was this a great adaptation?

As far as I can tell, it was interesting. It's too early to judge the entire series as a whole but it was gratifying. The only problem I had with it was the pacing felt a bit rushed. However, it does set the stage of what to expect, for example, Kent no longer goes by The Blur and is now fully fledged in his Superman persona. Little is known of his work at the Daily Planet but I hear Kent still works the same floors down whereas Lois is promoted 8 floors up. I won't spoil the whole story, but it involves a rescue mission in space. Chloe and Oliver are enjoying their marriage and still at Watchtower. The suit that Kent wears from the New 52 is okay, but I like the Superman Returns inspired version better. The writing has done justice to each character's voices, which is what I would expect from having done Smallville and the art is really great.

I will be honest, I never really got into Superman's character, I grew up on the cartoon series and the Smallville TV show from way back in 2001 but only for the spectacle of it and nothing more. I more invested in the live action version than anything else. Only because Superman is too god-like and it is hard to care for someone too powerful. If I were to read any DC comic, it would be Batman but this one and some of it's material would convince me to buy it. I can't wait till the next chapter on April 20th and I'm waiting to see how they pull it off and who Superman will face from his rouges gallery, plus how it will fit this universe. I leave by saying kudos to the solid, encompassing, writing, excellent art but short and flat-nosed finish.


Next post is my Director's Cut,




- Written by Andre Farquharson

No comments:

Post a Comment